Sunday, November 22, 2009

2009 Album Review #4: Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King

Dave Matthews Band, what can I say? This is a group I've fallen in and out of love with on several occasions. The new album "Big Whiskey..." was one that totally surprised me. I did not have high expectations, but there was just enough interest there to still give it a chance and go out and buy it. I am sure glad that I did. First of all, the band's previous effort "Stand Up" was just okay at best. Secondly, with the death of their saxophone player, LeRoi Moore, I couldn't see this being more than a futile attempt at recapturing some magic that had long faded away. I learned that most of this album was completed with Moore's saxophone parts, and I heard a few samples of songs. So, I went out and made the purchase. The album is definitely a "grower"; it took a few listens to get used to the sound. This is a new, fresh sound for DMB. It's like they took the best of what they did in the past, then added some heavier electric guitar and a lot more brass. It works very well. A lot of these songs are pretty rockin'. I can't say enough about the song "Seven", which to say is amazing would be an understatement. The opening track, "Shake me like a Monkey" is pure energy. Other highlights include "Squirm", "Alligator Pie", and "Time Bomb". I also have to point out how fantastic a drummer Carter Beauford is; I have no clue how he drives these songs the way he does and still fits in some really great fills. The only drawback I can point out with this album is that as far as the radio singles go, they really selected the wrong ones. "Funny the Way it is", "Why I am", and "You & Me" have all been getting a little radio play, but in my opinion, are not a good example of what the album really has to offer. Also, I feel like Boyd Tinsley, the violinist, did not get a chance to shine at all on this record. All in all, a real surprise. This is a new, modernized sound for DMB and it strikes all the right chords. The question now will be, where do they go from here? How does a band carry on without one of their most talented musicians? I suppose we'll find out in time.

No comments: