Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: A Year in Review - Part 2: What I've Learned

LESSONS
I've learned many lessons in 2007. That is not to say these lessons are universal truths and should be applied to everyone's everyday life; simply items of concern that are applicable to my own life and have helped me grow as a person.

#1. Take what life has to offer as it comes/Live day to day - I've always been one to think ahead way too much and also to dwell on the past too much. In doing so, I believe that I miss out terribly on what happens in the present. This leads me to the next lesson.

#2. Regrets are useless - No matter how shitty things have been in the past, that is where they are best left; in the past. I waste too much time worrying about how terrible a person I've been or how things could have been different "if only...". Regrets are just a terrible waste of time that prevent me from getting on with my daily life. The things that make good stories are the stuff of the past we should focus on remembering, not the stuff we feel sorry about.

#3. One strike and you're out when it comes to first dates - No matter how much suspense and tension has built up leading to a first date, it can still all come crashing down in one night. This only reinforces an old lesson that I still don't learn: Don't put too much stock in one person, because no matter how much interest they have shown or pretended to show, they can turn it all off in an instant.

#4. Confidence is gold - Confidence is better than money when it comes to the social scene, gaining recognition, etc. Commanding attention instead of waiting for the attention to come to you is always the right thing to do. If it goes terribly wrong, what have you really got to lose but your own foolish pride?

#5. Obligation doesn't always lead you in the right direction - There are millions of little things that occur throughout your lifetime that will be stressful and just because you feel obligated to attend to these things, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. This is really a weighing the consequences idea here. If you can rid yourself of stress without creating an even more stressful consequence; I say, do it. Don't feel obligated to please everyone; it'll never happen. Especially don't feel obligated toward those who are a great source of stress within your life. Start with what makes you happy and don't let others run your life for you.

ABOUT MYSELF
I've learned many things about myself that may contain lessons within themselves. I don't know what all of this means yet, so I suppose I can't make any lessons out of them yet.

#1. I have the ability to command attention, as long as I'm not trying too hard. I can actually carry a conversation with a stranger. Who knew? I have always felt that I am witty and charming, but have never put it to practical use until this year; and guess what...it works.

#2. For some reason, I want things more when I know I can't have them. I discovered a dangerous character trait in myself and have only broken the surface on what it means. Uh-oh! That is a scary thing to admit.

END
Well, that is my wrap up for the year. I hope you found it as interesting as I did. I had a fun time compiling all the events of my life for one year. I really hope that 2008 tops 2007. I have many things I want to accomplish and hope for many more fun times. Goodbye 2007!

2 comments:

gohappy said...

Hi. I agree with you. I also learned that we live here and now. This is the only and best way we can have for better future. Keep up good blog!!

Kuuil said...

I'm sorry you can't have me, sir, but it's good to know I'm wanted. :-D

Interesting, though. I should steal this idea and do the same thing.